Testing for COVID-19
Did you know?
Not everyone who comes to a clinic or hospital will be tested for COVID-19. Here’s why:
Most patients who test positive for COVID-19 have developed fever and have symptoms of acute respiratory illness (cough, difficulty breathing). The Louisiana Department of Health has issued criteria for COVID-19 testing, and our caregivers may prioritize testing to:
- hospitalized patients
- patients with signs and symptoms of an illness consistent with COVID-19
- immunocompromised persons, or those who live with immunocompromised persons
- those who live with elderly or very young children
- healthcare personnel who had close contact to a confirmed-positive COVID-19 patient
- or other patients determined to be high-risk
Mildly ill patients may be encouraged to self-quarantine at home,
without being tested. Even if your symptoms are mild, call your
healthcare provider to let them assess your risk.