Our volunteers touch the lives of those they serve.
At Slidell Memorial Hospital, volunteers can be found helping patients, organizing fundraising events and assisting customers in the gift shop. They are dedicated and caring individuals who serve as a part of the SMH team to provide quality patient care.
The Benefits of Volunteering at SMH
Not only will you be helping others and making a true impact in the community, you’ll also receive the following benefits when you share your time and talents by volunteering at SMH:
- New friendships
- Educational opportunities and training
- CPR training (if desired)
- Annual tuberculosis screening
- Annual flu vaccine
- Invitations to many hospital social functions
- Recognition pins and certificates
- Appreciation activities during National Volunteer and National Hospital Weeks
- Free meal in the Café with every five-hour shift worked ($8 limit)
- Community service experience for your résumé or scholarship applications
There are many different ways you can impact patients at SMH, including:
- Information Desk Ambassadors: As an ambassador, you might help folks find their way, answer a question or simply offer a smile and a greeting to brighten their day.
- Care Package Gift Shop: Do you have experience in retail? We could use your help in our gift shop, serving visitors and employees.
- Angels in the ER: Help ER visitors by providing information and updates to family members, escorting patients or simply lending an ear.
- Clerical Support: Every good organization needs good people to handle the behind-the-scenes work. You could be one of those important people!
- Cancer Center Concierge: Great visitors and patients, escort patients to their appointments, provide basic information and answer phone calls.
- Care Partners: As a care partner, you'll be assigned to a nursing floor to answer call lights, round on patients, restock supplies, transport patients and more.
- Surgical Waiting Room: Monitor the surgical waiting room and provide information to family members. Because this position involves a great deal of contact with doctors and nurses, good communication skills are necessary.
- Visiting Clergy: Download a Visiting Clergy application.
To find out more about becoming an SMH volunteer, contact the volunteer coordinator at (985) 280-8531 or download an application:
We also offer scholarship and internship opportunities. Learn more.