SMH is a full-service hospital. This means we can handle any medical emergency — and any ongoing care you may need.
A medical emergency can be a scary thing. That’s why we offer our patients the best and most experienced care in two convenient locations— from a front-desk concierge trained in crisis prevention, intervention and CPR to board-certified emergency physicians and certified emergency nurses.
As a full-service Emergency Department, we can get you the care you need quickly.
- Dual-certified physicians
- Joint Commission accredited services
- 31 beds
- Private treatment rooms
- 24-hour triage coverage
- Access to all departments at the hospital
- 24-hour Cath Lab
- Ochsner Telestroke Program
What to Expect When You Arrive
Our streamlined process helps you get seen by one of our experts fast.
- Register with the concierge.
- See the triage nurse who will assess your situation, ask for a brief medical history and check your vital signs.
- Get placed in a bed to be seen by a physician.
- The physician will order any necessary tests.
- The physician will discuss your test results with you.
- Depending on the results, you may be discharged or admitted to the hospital for further testing or treatment.
When to Go to the ER
Go to the Emergency Department if you experience:
- Severe chest pain
- Severe bleeding
- Severe asthma attack/difficulty breathing
- Severe head trauma
- Change in mental state
- Serious burns
- Loss of consciousness
- Severe allergic reaction
- Sudden vision loss or impairment
- Severe abdominal pain
- Severe dehydration