Whether you’re a patient or a visitor, we’re here to help make your experience as easy and stress-free as possible.
Slidell Memorial Hospital is located in the heart of Slidell, Louisiana. Our caring experts provide a full range of healthcare services — from emergency treatment to surgery to childbirth facilities.
The chapel is located on the first floor near the atrium, just past the Gift Shop. Visitors of all faiths are welcome to visit the chapel for worship services, prayer and meditation.
SMH volunteers deliver letters, cards, flowers and gifts to patients throughout the day. If items arrive for you after you’re discharged, they will be forwarded to your home mailing address.
The Camellia Café is located on the first floor and provides healthy food to patients and visitors. It’s open daily during the following times:
Monday – Friday
- Breakfast: 6:30 – 9 a.m.
- Continental Breakfast Only: 9 – 10:30 a.m.
- Beverages & Snacks Only: 10:30 – 11:15 a.m.
- Lunch: 11:15 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Beverages & Snacks Only: 2 – 5 p.m.
- Dinner: 5 – 7 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday
- 7 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Vending machines are available throughout the hospital 24 hours a day.
The Care Package Gift Shop is located near the Gause Boulevard atrium and offers assorted gifts, cards and candy. It is open Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. To reach the Care Package Gift Shop, call 985-280-1626.
Gifts for Patients
Check with the nurse before bringing food or drinks to patients to make sure your gift is appropriate. In the intensive care unit, all gifts must be approved by the nurse.
Deaf or Hard of Hearing
A telecommunications device is available to help deaf or hard of hearing patients, or those who would like to communicate with a deaf or hard of hearing relative or friend. Arrangements can also be made for a sign language interpreter.
Your nurse has access to interpreters for a number of foreign languages should you require it.
Parking for patients and visitors is free and available at all times.
Here are the best places to park for some of the most common destinations on the SMH main campus:
- Emergency Room, Heart Center, Cardiology Patient Rooms (2500 series): Parking lots directly across from or alongside the ER entrance on 12th St.
- Admitting/Registration, Medical Office Building, Medical Records or Lab: Parking garage on Gause Blvd.
- Outpatient Pavilion, Endoscopy or Medical Imaging: Outpatient parking lot on 14th St.
- Patient rooms (1100 and 1200 series), Birthing Center: Visitor parking lot on the corner of Florida Ave. and 14th St.
Please be sure to lock your car. If you need assistance with your vehicle, call the Security Department at (985) 280-2200.
Patient Check In
All patients must check in through Admitting before undergoing any type of procedure, including X-rays and lab work. Admitting is located inside the Gause Blvd. entrance in Medical Office Building 1.
Smoking and Tobacco Use
SMH is a tobacco-free campus. The use of tobacco products of any kind is not permitted on hospital property — inside or outside — by anyone, including employees, volunteers, patients and visitors.
Local and toll-free calls can be made from the telephones provided in each room by dialing 9 and the number. Long-distance and collect calls can’t be charged to your room.
To reach a patient room from outside the facility, call (985) 280-2200, and ask for the room number.
We recommend leaving valuables at home. If you do bring valuable items with you, please utilize the patient safe located in the room and/or closet. For patient rooms without a safe, valuable items can be deposited in the safe in the Security Department. You will be given a written receipt for all items, which you must present when you withdraw them. SMH does not accept responsibility for lost or stolen items.
Visitors can be good medicine for patients. Family members and friends are welcome to visit, unless otherwise ordered by the physician. To protect all patients, please do not visit if you are sick.
Specific visiting hours and regulations have been established for each unit:
- General visitation: 7:30 a.m. – 8:30 p.m.
- Visiting times for medical intensive care unit, surgical intensive care unit/cardiac intensive care unit: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. and 8 - 10 p.m.
Please keep these rules in mind when visiting SMH patients.
- Visitors must dress appropriately and must wear shirts and shoes.
- No more than two visitors are allowed at the bedside at one time.
- Visitors in semi-private rooms should be considerate of both patients.
- Anyone with a cold, sore throat or any contagious disease should not visit patients.
- Visits should be kept short.
- Visitors should help maintain a quiet environment and avoid unnecessary noise.
- Visitors may be asked to leave the room during tests or treatments or when the doctor or nurse needs to see the patient.
- Hospice patients can have visitors at any time.
- When visiting ICU patients, there are no visitors allowed under the age of 12.
There are lounge areas located on each patient floor and in the lobby. In the Critical Care Units, the Emergency Department and the surgery area, there are specific waiting areas designated for families of patients. During certain hours, a host/hostess is on duty in the surgery waiting room to keep family members informed about the progress of surgery.
Patient and Family Advisory Council
The Patient and Family Advisory Council (PFAC) provides a way for patients and families to work with Slidell Memorial Hospital to improve the care experience. The council will collaborate as partners with staff, physicians and administration. Join the council and work with SMH to improve the care experience and make a difference in our community. Fill out an application below to join: