We’ll get to the bottom of your sleepless nights so you can get the rest you need.Find a Doctor
1150 Robert Blvd. Suite 200
Slidell, LA 70458
Sleep is as important to your health as diet and exercise. At the Slidell Memorial Hospital Sleep Disorders Center, we evaluate and treat all types of sleep disorders.
Accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, the SMH Sleep Disorders Center is a home away from home. We offer a cozy, secure environment in which our friendly and professional staff can test, diagnose and treat sleep disorders. We even offer at-home sleep testing.
Common Sleep Disorders
Sleep disorders are often associated with other chronic conditions like diabetes and hypertension, and, if untreated, they can complicate and accelerate these conditions.
Our highly skilled physicians and specialists are trained in the science of sleep. We test for and diagnose a range of sleep disorders.
- Sleep apnea syndrome: A collapsed airway in the back of the throat prevents air from getting to the lungs, causing the person to stop breathing intermittently. The intervals can last 10 seconds to a minute or longer, disrupting sleep and causing short-term and long-term effects.
- Periodic limb movements of sleep (PLMS): Repetitive cramping or twitching of the legs during sleep. These movements usually occur every 20 to 40 seconds. This should not be confused with restless leg syndrome, which can occur while awake as well as when sleeping.
- Narcolepsy: Daytime sleepiness and sudden attacks of sleep.
- Conditional insomnia: The inability to sleep or to stay asleep for long periods of time. There are many causes of insomnia, including depression, stress, environmental conditions, breathing problems, medical illnesses, certain medications and alcohol.
How Do I Know If I Have a Sleep Disorder?
Common symptoms of sleep disorders include:
- Loud and/or irregular snoring
- Depressed or uneasy mood
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Pauses in breathing during sleep
- Inability to fall asleep or stay asleep
Take our comprehensive Sleep Self Quiz to determine if you may have a sleep condition. The SMH Sleep Disorders Center sees patients through physician referral as well as self-referred patients.