Our experienced labor and delivery staff offers expectant families a knowledgeable support team with one objective in mind: to help you deliver and nurture a healthy baby.
As the only labor and delivery department serving Slidell and the surrounding area, Slidell Memorial Hospital provides mom and baby a compassionate birthing experience, plus the highest level of care to manage life's unexpected emergencies. Our comprehensive care starts during pregnancy and continues after the baby is born.
Our prenatal services help you prepare for the arrival of your baby.
- Complimentary prenatal classes for moms who deliver at SMH
Labor and Delivery
We help make your labor and delivery go as smoothly as possible with expert care and helpful amenities.
- 24-hour, in-house anesthesiologist
- 24-hour, in-house neonatal nurse practitioner
- Spacious private rooms where expectant moms can labor, deliver and recover after childbirth
- Operating rooms and a surgical recovery room on the unit — ideal for keeping mom and baby close
- Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) led by experienced, highly trained staff
- Airstrip OB monitoring, which allows your doctor to view the baby's heart rate, contractions, maternal vital signs and nursing documentation at any time
- Baby’s first portrait, done right here at SMH through Mom365
After childbirth, we’re here for you with the resources you need to transition to parenthood.
- Complimentary parenting classes for families that deliver at SMH
- Complimentary Big Brother and Big Sister classes
- Breastfeeding 101
- International board-certified lactation consultants, who offer support in the hospital and after you go home
New Beginnings Program
A comprehensive, life-changing, family centered experience for moms with Opioid Use Disorder.
The goal of our New Beginnings Program is to break down barriers to prepare for a healthy newborn and a healthy, safe lifestyle and environment for both mom and baby. We encourage moms to be honest with their medical provider about past and present substance use without fear of judgement. New Beginnings, while requiring commitment, dedication and enrollment in a drug rehab program, is patient-centered and designed to benefit moms and babies without penalty.
- Pregnancy Help Slidell - Safe place of hope and help for women during pregnancy and beyond
- La Leche League - Mother-to-mother support group
WIC provides nutritional services, breastfeeding support and supplemental food for pregnant women, new mothers, infants and children.
To locate a WIC clinic near you, please call - (800) 251-BABY (2229)
- Partners for Healthy Babies - Connects mom to pregnancy resources, services and information
- Nurse Family Partnership - Provides home services from a nurse to support first-time moms throughout pregnancy and until 2nd birthday
- Louisiana Breastfeeding Coalition - Provides breastfeeding information and resources for mothers, families and communities
- TEXT4baby - Get FREE text messages on prenatal care, baby health, parenting and more