It's Time: Delivering at SMH
Find out what to do when you go into labor and what to pack for your stay at Slidell Memorial Hospital.
Arriving at the Hospital
Call the hospital's Labor and Delivery Department at (985) 280-8596 and let them know you’re on your way. Don't worry if you don’t have time to call, our physicians and staff are always ready and waiting.
Remember to drive safely. Most deliveries take time and your safety comes first.
When you arrive at the hospital, use the Florida Avenue (blue awning) and 14th Street entrance to access the birthing suites on the second floor.
If it’s before 6 a.m. or after 8 p.m., use the Emergency Room entrance located on 12th Street, just south of Gause Boulevard. All other doors in the hospital are locked during these times for the safety of our patients and staff.
What to Bring to the Hospital
To make your stay comfortable, consider packing these items:
- Sleepwear, robe and slippers
- Toiletries, including toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, shampoo, conditioner and soap
- Clothes for the baby's trip home
- Pacifier (if you intend to use one)
- Infant car seat
- A few dollars in change
- Nursing pads, gowns and bras (if you’re planning to breastfeed)
- A few changes of underwear that can be thrown away
- Cellphone charger
- Sports bra (without metal underwires)
- Pillows and blankets
- Comfort tools, such as a massager, birthing ball, rebozo or heat or ice pack
Please leave jewelry, watches and other valuable items at home. SMH cannot be responsible for items that are lost or stolen.